What can I do to improve my fitness?
Regular physical activity of any kind can improve your fitness and health. The most important thing is that you continue to move!
Exercise, like brushing your teeth, eating, and sleeping should be a regular part of your day. It could be in a gym class, on a sports team, or on your own. Keep the following suggestions in mind:
- Maintain a positive attitude and have fun. A positive mental attitude is essential. Find an activity that you enjoy. If you choose something you enjoy, you are more likely to stick with it. Many people find it more enjoyable to exercise with others, so see if you can find a friend or family member to join you.
- Take things slowly at first. Small changes can lead to greater fitness. Instead of taking a ride, walk or ride your bike to school or to a friend’s house. Take the bus a few blocks away and walk the rest of the way. Instead of taking the elevator or escalator, take the stairs.
- Get your heart rate up. Whatever you choose, make sure it includes aerobic activity that causes you to breathe more deeply and raises your heart rate. This is the best type of exercise because it increases your fitness level and improves the function of your heart and lungs. It also helps to burn body fat. Basketball, running, and swimming are examples of aerobic activities.
- Before engaging in any physical activity, remember to warm up with some simple exercises or gentle stretching. This warms up your muscles and may help protect you from injury. Stretching improves the flexibility of your muscles and joints. It is also important to stretch after exercise to allow your muscles to cool down.
- Every day, you should do some form of exercise. It is best to engage in some type of aerobic activity for at least 20 to 30 minutes at a time. Do the activity as frequently as possible, but not to the point of pain.
A Healthy Way of Life
Aside from exercise, a few other lifestyle changes can help you stay healthy, such as
- Reduce your time spent watching TV or playing computer or video games. (Instead, use this time to exercise!) Or work out while watching TV (for example, sit on the floor and do sit-ups and stretches; use hand weights; or use a stationary bike, treadmill, or stair climber).
- Eat three healthy meals per day, including at least four servings of fruits and vegetables and four servings of dairy products.
- Drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after any physical activity (water is best but flavored sports drinks can be used if they do not contain a lot of sugar). This will assist in replacing what you lose when you sweat.
- Stop drinking or limit your intake of regular soft drinks.
- Reduce your intake of junk food and fast food. (They are frequently high in fat, cholesterol, salt, and sugar.)
- Every night, get 9 to 10 hours of sleep.
- Don’t smoke, drink alcohol, or use drugs.
I am the founder and writer of VIE, a https://www.vie-store.co.uk/ in the health and fitness community. We offer advice on a range of fitness topics from our certified background in the industry – you can check it out here. In my personal life, I have been through my ups and downs and recently quit smoking and drinking at the same time and I haven’t looked back since. I hope to pass as much of this knowledge on to people to help them achieve their own goals!